What Are Cold Sores (Herpetic Lesions)?
Cold sores, sometimes called fever blisters, are groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth that are caused by the herpes simplex virus. This virus usually enters the body through a break in the skin around or inside the mouth. They can be spread when a person touches a cold sore or contacts the infected fluid from sharing eating utensils or razors, or through kissing or touching that person’s saliva. A parent who has a cold sore often spreads the infection to his or her child in this way.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Cold Sore?
Common symptoms or warning signs of cold sores may include a tingling, itching or pain around your mouth and on your lips, a fever, a sore throat, or swollen glands in your neck or other parts of the body. After the blisters appear, the cold sores usually break open, leak a clear fluid, and then crust over and disappear after several days to 2 weeks. For some people, cold sores can be very painful.
Cold Sore Laser Therapy?
It’s an effective way to treat cold sores that cause pain, make you feel self-conscious or just take too long to heal. If we catch the lesion in time with laser treatment, we can prevent the cold sore from breaking out. As soon as you feel that tingling sensation that warns you of an on-coming sore, call us to schedule an appointment. If you already have a full blown sore, the laser will take away the discomfort and help it to dry up and heal much faster.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Laser In Treating Cold Sores?
- It is high tech, yet affordable, and often covered by your insurance
- Laser energy destroys the virus that causes the sore
- Relief is immediate and profound
- Help prevent sores if treated once the lip starts tingling
- Arrests the progression of the lesion after treatment
- Faster healing without any further discomfort
- Treatment takes just a few minutes and does not require anaesthesia
- After treatment, sores reoccur with less intensity and frequency at the same location